Guido Gezelle was born in Bruges on 1 May 1830 and died on the 27th of November 1899. He was a Belgian priest, author, journalist and poet.
He has written more than 80 poems. Guido could write and talk more than 15 languages.
He found his inspiration in Belgian music.
The house he used to live in has been a museum for his life and works since 1926.
There is also a Belgian writing prize that holds his name.
· Caesar Gezelle Guido Gezelle (1918)
· Aloïs Walgrave Het leven van Guido Gezelle, Vlaamschen priester en dichter (2 delen, 1923-1924)
· F. Baur Uit Gezelle's leven en werk (1930)
· R. van Sint-Jan Het West-Vlaamsch van Guido Gezelle (1930)
· Henriette Roland Holst, Guido Gezelle (1931)
· Henri Bruning, Guido Gezelle de andere (1954)
· R. van Sint-Jan, Guido Gezelle's avonturen in de journalistiek, Tielt/ Den Haag, Lannoo, 1954
· Jozef Boets: Gĳ ..., met uw zwart habĳt en uwen bek van goud. Spreuken, gezegden en korte verzen. Kapellen, De Nederlandsche Boekhandel, 1986
· Michel van der Plas: Mĳnheer Gezelle. Biografie van een priester-dichter (1830-1899). Tielt/ Baarn, Lannoo/ Anthos, 1990 (608 p.)
· Paul Claes, Gezelle gelezen, Leiden, Dimensie, 1993
· Johan van Iseghem: Gezelle vertaald. Een meertalige bloemlezing. Kapellen, Pelckmans, 2003. Een selectie van gedichten met telkens een Franse, Duitse, Engelse en/of Latijnse vertaling. Het woord vooraf bevat een kort overzicht van Gezelles evolutie
· Guido Gezelle, La Fleur. Vingt-sept poèmes traduits du flamand par Paul Claes, Antwerpen, Via Libra 2011
Short after his death he received the Flemish State prize for his poetry work of ’Rijmsnoer ‘
Strictly necessary cookies guarantee functions without which this website would not function as intended. As a result these cookies cannot be deactivated. These cookies are used exclusively by this website and are therefore first party cookies. This means that all information stored in the cookies will be returned to this website.
Functional cookies enable this website to provide you with certain functions and to store information already provided (such as registered name or language selection) in order to offer you improved and more personalized functions.
Performance cookies gather information on how a web page is used. We use them to better understand how our web pages are used in order to improve their appeal, content and functionality.
Marketing / Third Party Cookies originate from external advertising companies (among others) and are used to gather information about the websites visited by you, in order to e.g. create targeted advertising for you.