° 1959 - +
Els Beerten is a Flemish writer and she was born in Hasselt on 27th March 1959. She writes juvenile literature and has won a lot of rewards.
She studied Germanic Languages (Dutch and English) at the KULeuven and she took drama classes in Maastricht.
In 2002-2004-2006 she stayed a few weeks in South-Africa where she taught creative writing and drama.
In addition to being a writer she’s also a teacher in high school. She teaches Dutch, English and drama.
She started a literary career because a teacher stimulated her to teach and write books instead of taking drama classes.
Between 1976 and 1984 she was freelancer for TOPmagazine for which she wrote poems and stories.
In 1985 she won the John Flanders award for her short story ‘vreemde eend’.
In 1987 her first book named Scènes came out.
Her youngest book ‘allemaal willen we de hemel’ was published in may 2008. It is one of her most famous books.
In the past years she has written columns for the magazine Runner’s world.
- vreemde eend : John Flandersprijs (1985)
- Scenes: 2e prijs Kinder- en Jeugdjury Vlaanderen (1989)
- Mijn tweede solo: 1e prijs Kinder- en Jeugdjury Limburg (1992)
- lopen voor je leven : Gouden Zoen (2004), Kleine Cervantesprijs (2005), 1e prijs Kinder- en Jeugdjury Vlaanderen (2005)
- allemaal willen we de hemel : Boekenleeuw (2009), Gouden Uil Prijs van de Jonge Lezer (2009), De Gouden Lijst (2009), Nienke van Hichtumprijs (2009) Lod LAVKIPRIJS (2011)